Thursday 9 August 2012

DIY - Skeleton/Ribcage Cut-out Tee

Over the summer I've really been getting into DIY video blogs on YouTube. They opened my eyes to a great range of ideas to personalise and create some individual clothing. Today I decided to create my own cut-out tee that has been seen in a variety of shops such as Urban Outfitters and Topshop, but for a fraction of the cost.

What you'll need:
Plain Oversized Tee - Colour of your choice (I've chosen a men's black tee from Primark)
Brown Paper or Sugar Paper
Pencil
Pins
Tailors Chalk
Fabric Shears/Sharp Scissors 

Step 1: Turn your tee over and inside-out. Measure out the amount of Brown Paper you'll need and cut/rip it off.


Step 2: For my design I am doing a Ribcage and therefore I want it equal on both side. 
If you'd like to do this design - fold your paper in half and draw half a Ribcage with the fold almost touching the side of your drawing.


Step 3: Cut out your pattern (in this case the 'bones' of the Ribcage) and lay onto the back/inside of your tee.



Step 4: Secure your pattern in place on your tee with small heavy objects or pins. 

Step 5: Lightly start to trace the inside of your pattern with Tailors Chalk or some form of pen that will easily come off in the wash - even though its being traced on the inside of the top, it can still easily come off on your skin or show through if your top is a light colour.

Step 6: Carefully with Fabric Shears or very sharp scissors start to cut out your pattern (making sure that you only cut ONE side of the tee and that the front isn't caught underneath).

Bare in mind, especially with the Ribcage design, that you may not what to cut out all of the individual 'bones', so keep trying on the tee after several sections are cut out... I did this and actually decided I didn't want or need the bottom five sections... so just left it as it is shown below.

Step 7: Neaten off all rough edges with smaller scissors or a scalpel if you have one (again, please be careful and only use a scalpel on a suitable board)

This is my final design:


I hope you've enjoyed this quick DIY, I've got a lot more planned over the next few weeks so will keep you updated with how they are going.
I hope everyone is having a lovely week/summer break x

No comments:

Post a Comment